Re: correct way to move /usr to a new partition...

On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 12:10:49AM -0500, rich wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I have decided that I need more room for my Slink system... my 1GB linux
> partition that stores my entire system is now over 80% full... I was
> thinking of using another empty 1GB partition (/dev/hdb1 - currently
> mounted as /linux2a) for /usr. My thinking is:
>
> 1. as root, cp -r -p /usr /linux2a
> 2. change fstab to mount /dev/hdb1 as /usr (with options set to
> "defaults, errors=remount -ro" ???)
> 3. rm /usr

I am more cautious -- I would rename /usr to /old_usr rather than delete it.
No need to paint yourself into a corner you can avoid.. delete it after a
few days of it running perfectly. :)

> 4. mount -a
>
> My question is, will I get screwed somehow, or is this the "correct" way
> to do it?

You may wish to use cpio or tar instead of cp. I have heard cp isn't great
at copying files. (hehe :)  (the normal reason for cpio or tar instead is
the wierd filetypes -- but cp does some wierdness with sparse files, right?
Right?)

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!