Re: What happened to /usr/sbin/in.ftpd?

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 09:15:42PM -0400, Kristopher Johnson wrote:
> The description for ftpd recommends to use wu-ftpd or proftpd
> instead.  My needs are very simple--I just want a way to transfer
> files between my PC and work or a few friends.  I'm not running a
> major ftp site.  Can anyone advise me as to which ftp server is
> easier to set up and use?

ProFTPd comes basically working out of the box. Its config file is very
easy, (I haven't tried wu_ftpd, but it has historically had many security
bugs in it... I don't know how it is these days. The recent spat of security
bugs in ProFTPd have always been patched and released within hours
(minutes? :) by the debian maintainer (johnie@debian.org. :) There is a bit
of a hint that there might still be a security bug lurking in proftpd, but
the bug-finder said more details in a few days. <shrug>

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!