Re: sb live card under debian

On 16-Sep-99 Wojciech Zabolotny wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 09:08:39AM -0700, wim@netmaster.ca wrote:
>>
>> Your wrong.  I have a SoundBlaster Live! (Value!), and it works fine under
>> kernel 2.2.11.  Simply get the module from
>> http://developer.soundblaster.com/linux/.  The README with it says that it
>> will
>> only work for kernels 2.0.36 or 2.2.5 or 2.2.10, but I got it to work with
>> insmod -f emu10k1.o.  Make sure that you have no other modules loaded.  You
>> only want the sound core module loaded.
>
> Aren't you afraid of insmod'ing something precompiled from the closed source
> by someone else?
> My rule is not to install any closed source root suid programs and kernel
> modules.
> I don't want bugs or trojan horses running on ring 0.

Well, I want sound! :)

Someone else sent me a trick to edit emu10k1.o, and change 2.2.10 to 2.2.11, so
that I don't have to force it.

If only Creative would release more drivers... It can't be that touch to
recompile the module for a new kernel...  It should be must make clean; make,
or not?

Has anybody gotton the Sblive to run under 2.3.x ?

Regards,

Wim Kerkhoff
wim@netmaster.ca
www.canadianhomes.net/wim

There's some entertainment value in watching people juggle nitroglycerin.
             -- Larry Wall in <199712041747.JAA18908@wall.org>