Re: Help! mgetty & ppp won't play together

Bob Billson wrote:

> "Keith G. Murphy" <keithmur@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > > stats   molec3  "*"     -
> > >         ^^^^^^
> > > Is this column supposed to be the local machine name?  I can't find it
> > > documented anywhere.
> >
> > Yes, it is.  It does seem to be very poorly documented.  I think once
> > you fix that, you'll be in business.
>
> Okay, that makes sense.  I tried it.  Something still is right yet.  pppd on
> the remote machine is still complaining about not finding any secret
> (password).
>
> Maybe I'm not starting ppp on my end correctly?  I'm using diald.  In
> diald's connect script, I have it starting up ppp immediately after it
> goes through it's login/password passing.  Or should I have ppp start up
> as soon as the connect script gets the CONNECT from the modem and let
> mgetty AutoPP deal with the login/password?  If I do it that way, is
> mgetty smart enough to continue with the usual login/password prompts
> if it doesn't detect ppp running on the caller?

Huh?  diald is for dial*out*s.  Don't need it for this.  My advice is to
kill it off or deinstall it entirely, until you get the dialins working
properly.  If you do want to use it after the dialins work, be sure to
use the proper "lock" options for both diald and mgetty, so they won't
try to use the serial port at the same time.