Re: Help! mgetty & ppp won't play together

"Keith G. Murphy" <keithmur@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > stats   molec3  "*"     -
> >         ^^^^^^
> > Is this column supposed to be the local machine name?  I can't find it
> > documented anywhere.
>
> Yes, it is.  It does seem to be very poorly documented.  I think once
> you fix that, you'll be in business.

Okay, that makes sense.  I tried it.  Something still is right yet.  pppd on
the remote machine is still complaining about not finding any secret
(password).

Maybe I'm not starting ppp on my end correctly?  I'm using diald.  In
diald's connect script, I have it starting up ppp immediately after it
goes through it's login/password passing.  Or should I have ppp start up
as soon as the connect script gets the CONNECT from the modem and let
mgetty AutoPP deal with the login/password?  If I do it that way, is
mgetty smart enough to continue with the usual login/password prompts
if it doesn't detect ppp running on the caller?
--
        bob billson       email: bob@goleader.com       ham: kc2wz