How to use the gpg --gen-revoke certificate?

Sorry, I can find any information about how to use the revoke certificate
produce by gpg. Running gpg revoke.asc ask me for a datafile. Which one?

The purpose of the pre-generate certificate is to let the user revoking
a key without knowing is password. I find this option useful but can't
figure out to do such thing. --edit-key revkey ask for password.
--delete-secret-key work but generate nothing. How the other people
know which I revoke?

Thanks for any explanation,

Fabien Ninoles        Chevalier servant de la Dame Catherine des Rosiers
aka Corbeau aka le Veneur Gris               Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                                    http://www.tzone.org/~fabien
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70