Re: emacs or xemacs ?

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 07:32:22PM -0400, Kristopher Johnson wrote:
> Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Juli-Manel Merino Vidal wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > where can I found a document describing the differences between emacs
> > > and xemacs ?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > Check the XEmacs web page: http://www.xemacs.org/
> >
> > You might also look at the Emacs web pages: Official:
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html Unofficial:
> > http://www.emacs.org/
>
> I honestly don't mean to start a holy war here, but I'd like to know:  Is
> there anyone who prefers Emacs to XEmacs, and why?
>
> - Kris

> /dev/null

I prefer XEmacs to Emacs because of several features.  I find configuring it
is easier, since it has most of the customization options available under a
menu.  Also, it seems like the program is more oriented towards use under X,
taking advantage of the mouse and separate windows for opening files and such.
Most importantly, however, is the context-sensitive menus available with
XEmacs.  For doing SGML editing it's a godsend, being able to right-click
anywhere and instantly get a menu of the legal tags available at the point.  I
also find it helpful for HTML, and somewhat with programming.

However I still use Vim for my mail and small file editing, XEmacs is too
large to use for every single editing task.

Just my $0.02,

MBG

--
"Infinite: Bigger than the biggest thing ever and then some.  Much bigger than
that in fact, really amazingly immense, a totally stunning size, real "wow,