Apt-cdrom and Ham cd's

tired of multi-cd/dselect's inability to handle debian cd's, I downloaded
alt-0.3.3. But elas, apt-cdrom doesn't find the package files on the cd's.
what magic want do i have to use to direct apt-cdrom to the proper place
so that it can find the package files? And related, were can I find a
description of how debian cd's are structured. I could find no note on
where the package files should live, nor on the .disk subdir.

thanks for any pointers.

I'm running a partly upgraded HAM, and try to use non standard ham-cd's from
Datom/Schlittermann.
--
groetjes, carel