Re: top missing too>

Then why is it not on my system today, but yesterday it was? :) Since then,
the only thing that I can account for it, is running apt-get update; apt-get
upgrade (I run this pretty much every day, sometimes even twice... :)

$ locate top | egrep "top$" | grep -v desktop
/usr/bin/cdstop
/usr/bin/gtop
/usr/bin/top
/usr/bin/unicode_stop
/usr/doc/gtop
/usr/lib/menu/gtop
[I have trimmed some out]

$ ls -l /usr/bin/top
ls: /usr/bin/top: No such file or directory

This happened on my TWO machines -- one running IP masq, and hiding the
other one. I lock my console, even when I leave for just a minute, and I
pick some decent passwords. Both my computers hidden behind a firewall, so
the outside world can't get in. That means if someone were to delete it,
they would have to exploit a hole in one of: protfpd, ssh, ssh2, xntpd,
distributed-net, telnet, or samba. I keep up on the patches -- at least once
a day, sometimes twice a day.

Based on root's ~/.bash_history, the only command that could possibly have
removed it (my rm's are very well-aimed.. :) is: dpkg --purge kbd kbd-data

I doubt it. :)

All in all, I think procps dropped it in the last day, and I want others to
confirm or deny it. :) If you apt-get update; apt-get upgrade today, will
you have `top`? :)

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 04:35:23PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 14-Sep-99 Seth R Arnold wrote:
> > Ok, top was in the unstable yesterday. Today it is not? I miss top. I liked
> > top. It might not have been the best, nor the prettiest, but I liked it.
> >
> > Does anyone know more about it?
> >

> It is in procps -- has been for some time.

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!