RE: your mail

> Dear Raymond, Thank you so much for your reply. My question
> was a little vague so i'll explain a little more. We share 1 internet
> connection with 3 computers they all run under windows(95/98) and
> we use internetshare from Neelum to make the necesarry connection.
> The base computer is a brand new one and must be constantly on-line.
> When i found the IBM 386 sx 55 computer i thought off making this one
> the base connector, but I didn't wont it to run under WIndows. I don't
> have an ethernet adapter yet so i can't use it already with
> NFS.

 If you don't have Ethernet, it's not going to be terribly useful
to share the connection with, is it? ;->

> I don't have another computer to switch the harddisk with(IBM has
> strange connectors, you know).

 Hmmmmmm... what is the *exact* model of this computer? It may well be
a PS/2 system, in which case it's going to be hard getting an Ethernet
card for it. It won't use an ISA or PCI card, but instead will use an
MCA ("MicroChannel Architechture") card which is almost impossible to
find these days.

 I've never installed Linux on an MCA machine, so I may not be able to
help you there.

> The only thing I have is an 0-modem cable which I can
> connect with my own computer and the IBM, on com1:
> or com2: . Maybe this is also a possibilety but I don't really know
> which Linux software  I must first install to use the 0-modem cable.

 If any of your other machines were running Linux, it'd be easier. If
you can get a parallel-port cable you might be able to set up a PLIP
connection with a Windows 95 machine (not Windows 98).

 Still, it sounds like for what you need to do, it won't be too hard
to load the necessary software on floppies.

> The main goal for the IBM machine is to connect us all 3 with
> internet. I think for that i do also need special Unix software, just
> like we now have internetshare for. Maybe in the future we can use
> the IBM for little email between the 3 of us but that isn't necesary.

 This can be done without any additional software. Basically, you can
do this with IP-Masquerading. This can be built into the Linux kernel. I
*think* it may even be in the kernel that comes pre-compiled with Debian.
Take a look at the IP Masquerading HOWTO at
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade.html.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles         (248) 377-7735          ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "One of the main reasons for the downfall of the Roman Empire was that,
  lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of
  their C programs." - Robert Firth