Re: video permissions

Nope, not really. The trouble is that the video hardware isn't accessed through a
device. It's accessed using privileged system calls which allow direct communication
to i/o ports. The system call which enables this can only be run as root.

There's a lot of discussion about this topic in fact. The framebuffer device it
appears will eventually make video a regular device.