video permissions

I just installed Quake and Quake2 on my Linux machine.  They run fine in X
of course, and I can get the SVGALIB (console) versions to run ok too as
long as I run them as root or suid root.

However, I'm wondering if there's some kinda of special device file that I
could just allow myself write permissions for, which would allow me to run
the game without root permissions?  I'm looking for something similar in
concept to the "audio" group which can write to /dev/audio and /dev/dsp,
except something for video... like a /dev/video or something.  I didn't
see anything in /dev/ that looks like it would do it though.

Is it possible?