Re: ftpd and proftpd with package management

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 08:22:08PM +0200, Olaf Conradi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had proftpd installed (on the standerd port) and ftpd on a
> non-standard port. But the ftp daemons now have a dependency on
> ftp-server, which allows only one to be installed on a system at the same
> time.
>
> How can I get around this so that apt will install both packages and
> keep updating then when newer versions appear?

well, this is really annoying...
If I were you, I would file a bugreport on both ftp servers, because the
conflict seems not to be very well designed.
And as for the quick and dirty fix I would:

1) get mc - it will be helpful
2) backup one of the servers (use dpkg -L packagename to list its
 contents)
3) _remove_ it (luckily dpkg supports both --purge and --remove)
 , so that you don't loose your config files, and then restore
 the package from the backup
4) as for the upgrades, i would use mc on a new package file to copy the
files from it to the system

The other option is to:
get the source packages of the server(s) and compile your own versions of
ftp servers that don't conflict each other (or one another? I can't really
remember the rule). This however will require a certain amount of hacking
(don't ask me how to do this... i've never done that)

hope this helps

Marcin

--

Marcin Owsiany