Re: Num lock disables alt- and ctrl-key shortcuts?

> Rob Mahurin writes ("Re: Num lock disables alt- and ctrl-key shortcuts?"):

[snip]

> In X windows, the NumLock key toggles a modifier bit, just like ctrl
> and alt do.  So when numlock is toggles, every keystroke has another
> modifier bit tacked on to it.  Run 'xev' and hit keys in the window,
> with and without numlock applied.  You'll get different modifier
> codes:

[snip]

> Some applications behave fairly intelligently and ignore this modifier
> bit or use it intelligently (i.e. don't do anything different for most
> keys, but for keypad ones do numbers, or somesuch).
>
> Staroffice was written intelligently in this respect and "does the
> Right Thing".  It appears that Realplayer does not.

Thanks very much.  So, it actually is a bug (in the sense of
"programming error") in RealPlayer and Acrobat Reader, and I'll report
it to RealMedia and Adobe respectively.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum