Re: Debian FDisk

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Adrian Thompson wrote:

 : Hello,
 :
 : Linux fdisk doesn't see past 1024 cylindars,  I have a 20.4GB HD which
 : requires over 2000 cylindars.  As well I have win95 on hda1,  I want to
 : put linux on hda2, however lilo doesn't sit well in a FAT32, or screws
 : up because of the HD size.

fdisk works fine here with drives having cyl > 1024.  cfdisk, OTOH ...

The caveat is that the bootable partition must lie within the first 1024
cylinders (specifically, the boot kernel must be somewhere between cyl 1
and 1024).  This is easy to solve:  Make a small (8 MB) partition and
mount it on /boot.  This partition should start at cyl 1.  Mark that
partition aws bootable and voila; you've got a working system.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD