pcmcia and the debian way.

Hello

This is somewhat related to my previous question concerning make-dpkg.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but these are the steps I used to get
my laptop working with a 3COM pcmcia ethernet card.  I am still somewhat
confused by this process and I would like to get confirmations on the
process.  In fact, I'd like to help document it for an official debian
document if possible.

All of this was done using kernel 2.0.36.
1.  Installed pcmcia source from cd 2.
2.  In /usr/src/modules/, i did a "make-kpkg modules image".
3.  In /usr/src/modules/pcmcia-cs, I did a "debian/rules binary".
4.  In /usr/src/linux, I did a "make menuconfig"
	Notable switches of interest were,
		Loadable Module Support -> Enable Loadable Module
Support -> YES
		Loadable Module Support -> Kernel Daemon Support -> YES
		Network Device Support -> Dummy NetDriver Support -> YES
(MODULE)
		Network Device Support -> Ethernet 10/100 Support -> YES

5.  In /usr/src/linux, I did a "make-kpkg -rev PcmciaTry.1
kernel_image".
     (Which did make a new kernel deb package, but it didn't include the
name PcmciaTry in the file name.)
     Brian Servis on this list told me that the "Pcmcia" string probably
didn't show up in the name because it didn't
     recognize the -rev switch.  I only used the  -rev switch, becuase
the -r switch was unrecognized and that's what
     the how/faq said to use.
6.  In /usr/src/, I did a "dpkg --install _kernel_image_name".
7.  Reboot.
8.  In the /usr/src/modules/, I did a "dpkg --install
_pcmcia_module_image_name"
9.  In the /usr/src, I did a "dpkg --install
_pcmcia_modules_images_name".
     Note, I can't remember the names exactly for the two different
files in step 8 and 9, but they were different.

Results, this did get my pcmcia ether card working.   Looking back on
the steps and reading Brian's helpfull, text,
I should have added a "make-kpkg clean" between steps 4 and 5.  Is there
anything else that's obvious?

Lastly, if I get the latest pcmcia source using apt-get, do I need to
get a newer kernel source?