Re: Printer stair stepping

Guilherme guided,

> Well... The solution I found wasn't really 'The Debian Way' of doing it, but worked perfectly...

> I just installed the lpr & magicfilter DEB's via DPKG & RedHat's printtool (& control-panel, needed by printtool) via alien, and now my printing is just fine (probably
> exactly the same way as Mandrake's... ;-)

I found that order seems to make some difference.  I'd suggest purging dpkg & magic filter, and manually deleting /etc/printcap if it survives this for some reason (i've seen it do that).

Then install any untilities, such as djtools, that your printer needs.  Then install and configure lpd, then ghostscript.

Only after these are in and nominally working should you install magicfilter.

There may be other ways, but this is the only way I've ever succeded.

rick, who's just discovered that exmh is not formatting to 72 lines on send, even though the configuration file says it is.