Re: Num lock disables alt- and ctrl-key shortcuts?

On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 08:49:35PM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> [This message has also been posted.]
> I've just noticed that both Adobe's Acrobat Reader 3 and RealMedia's
> Realplayer G2 have an interesting behavior:  if NumLock is activated,
> their keyboard shortcuts that require shifted keys, like Alt-F for
> the File menu or ^P for Print, don't work.  On the other hand,
> StarOffice 5.1's shortcuts work fine with NumLock on.

I have a similar problem with fvwm2.  With the NumLock off, Alt keys
are used by the window manager, to give menus, move around the
desktops, etc., and the windows key that everybody hates is Alt or
Meta key for programs like Netscape and Emacs and xterm.  With the
Numlock on, the windows key and the alt key behave the same way, and I
lose my window manager shortcuts.

> I'd like to report the bug, but I'm not sure to whom.  Since it
> appears in other apps, but not StarOffice, I'm suspecting it's in
> some X library.  (StarOffice uses its own libraries for many
> functions, which might explain why it's immune.)  Anyone out there
> have an insight as to where this should be reported?

Nope, you're further along than I am, and I've been having this
problem probably since last year.  I'm grateful to see that someone
else finally reported a similar problem, though -- I had thought I was
the only one.

> Running slink with a couple of potato packages, XFree86 3.3.2.3.

Same, X 3.3.2.3a-11 (according to /usr/doc/X11/changelog). Although, I
had this problem even before I upgraded to slink; I just figured out
it was the numlock a couple of weeks ago and was kind of sitting
deciding what to do about it.

Rob

--
Laetrile is the pits.