Re: ppp & serial device problem: please advise

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Michael Phillips wrote:

> > Michael, please ensure you are not running a WinModem (ie, one that relies
> > on the CPU to do all the work..) I have heard there is coming support for
> > those less fortunate modems, but... <shrug>
> No, it is a Rockwell chipset, PCI, 56K internal modem.  I have a relatively
> solid foundation in the hardware area, so I would never be inclined to
> purchase such an--indeed--"unfortunate" modem. :)

Oh!

Well, PCI modems quite likely ARE WinModems, but there are some out there
that aren't. Unfortunately, there isn't native support for PCI serial
ports under the stable kernels, though there seems to be a way to
configure some using setserial manually.

Oh the other hand, there is PCI serial support in the development kernels
(I'm not sure when it was added, but it's there in 2.3.16. I'd suggest not
using 2.3.17, though. It made my development box's apt segfault. And yes,
I did copy over .config, and did kernel-package)
I also think you would need a newer pppd to run under that kernel. The PPP
support has been modularised with a finer grain and WOULD NOT work on my
system with slink's pppd. Kernel said PPP support was compiled in, and
pppd said it wasn't.

Could someone who knows the PCI modem/serial stuff better please offer
advice?

-- Ferret no baka