Re: undelete for partition tables?

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Tom Pfeifer wrote:

> Deleting partitions with DOS fdisk (and most partitioning programs)
> doesn't touch anything except the partition table itself. So all data in
> those partitions and the file system structure itself should be
> untouched - unless other steps were taken besides just deleting the
> partition.

As soon as I heard what happened, I told my colleague to turn the computer
off and not mes with anything till I had asked here.

[...]

> If you need a hand, get the Ranish Partition Manager and run this
> command from a DOS prompt: (type part /? for snytax)
>
> part -d 1 -p -r > part1.txt   (for the first  drive)
> part -d 2 -p -r > part2.txt   (for the second drive, if any)
>
> Post the contents of the text file(s) here, and also any information you
> have about where the partitions were located on the drive. I, or
> someone, will see what we can do from there.

Ok here it is:
------BEGIN--------------------------------------------------------------------
Ranish Partition Manager       Version 2.38 Beta 1.8         July 21, 1999

HD 1 (128) 17,201M [  2,330 cyls x 240 heads x 63 sects =  35,229,600 sects ]

Problems           File                Starting         Ending      Partition
  # Type Row   System Type         Cyl Head Sect    Cyl Head Sect  Size [KB]

   0  MBR   Master Boot Record        0    0    1      0    0    1          0
   1  Pri   Unused                    0    0    2  2,260  239   63 17,093,159
!  2  Pri 4 Linux ext2fs          2,261    0    1  2,330   14   63    522,112

Partition table details:

Problems            Starting       Ending     Starting   Number of      Ending
  # Type R FS    Cyl Head Sct  Cyl Head Sct    sector     sectors      sector

   0  MBR   FF      0   0  1      0   0  1           0           1           0
   1  Pri   00      0   0  2  2,260 239 63           1  34,186,319  34,186,319
!  2  Pri 4 83  2,261   0  1  2,330  14 63  34,186,320   1,044,225  35,230,544

 Problems with partition 2:

   Partition addresses are out of range

Partition records exactly as they appear in MBR (EMBR):

                   Starting          Ending        Starting   Number of
    #  HD  FS    Cyl Head Sect    Cyl Head Sect      sector     sectors
(0,0,1):
    1  00  00      0    0    0      0    0    0           0           0
    2  00  00      0    0    0      0    0    0           0           0
    3  00  00      0    0    0      0    0    0           0           0
    4  00  83  1,023   63   63  1,023   63   63  34,186,320   1,044,225

Detailed information about each partition:

--- Partition 2 ---
Type: Linux ext2fs           CHS=(2261,0,1)  522,112 k  1,044,225 sectors

Print info function is not available for this file system.

------END----------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately I don't remember exactly which raw devices mapped to which
partitions when I set up this computer (and my colleague may have moved
them around anyway) but putting our heads together we think the layout was
something like this:

fs    type  size (MB) location (not sure)
/     ext2   512      /dev/hda7
/usr  ext2  4096      /dev/hda8
/home ext2  2048      /dev/hda9
/var  ext2  2048      /dev/hda10
swap  swap   512      /dev/hda4

The first and second primary partitions were the DOS ones he created and
may have had logical drives in them, he isn't sure.

Thanks for your help, we really appreciate it.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com>