undelete for partition tables?

Ok an interesting case here.  I have a colleague who is at the let's say
"Just knows enough to be dangerous" level of linux knowledge.  He wanted
to install Win98 on an unused part of his drive on a machine I had set up
Debian on.  To make a long story short, he has ended up deleting his linux
partitions with DOS FDISK.  I am hoping that deleting partitions means
removing entries in some data structure and not actually deleting data
from the disk.  If this is the case, is there any utility, dos or linux,
free or commercial that will enable us to restore this information?  There
is important data on this machine and naturally, he did not make a backup
prior to beginning. :(

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com>