Sudden Emacs Error

Hi all,

Since I've re-installed slink a couple weeks back, I've been
using emacs without incident. Tonight I was writing a LaTeX
document and running latex, xdvi, and dvips from its command
shell. I took a break, and when I resumed my editing, emacs
mysteriously bailed. I then tried to run it from an rxvt, and it
belched the following:

  Fatal error (4).Illegal Instruction

I'm able to run it from the console. I performed an upgrade with
apt-get today which replaced several on my KDE packages. I don't
know what else I may have done to change my system's operation.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be, or
pointers on tracking down what my system is doing before emacs
crashes?

tia
--
Mark Wagnon       )     Debian GNU/ -o) / /  (_)__  __ ____  __