Sharing package caches

I've got a couple machine here that I want to have share their lists of
available packages and downloaded package binaries.  To this end, I've had
one of them share its /var/cache/apt directory and NFS mounted it on the
other.

Unfortunately, this doesn't quite work.  When I update the list of available
packages on one machine, the other one doesn't see the update.

Based on the apt-cache man page, I suspect that the missing piece may be in
/var/log/dpkg, but I would expect sharing that directory would confuse the
two boxes regarding who has what installed.  (They are not intended to have
the same sets of installed packages, I just don't care to be redownloading
files that overlap between the two.)