Has ANYONE installed from vfat copied distributuon, HOW?

Hello,

I recently copied the entire 2.1 CD to c:\debiancd using windows 95,
to avoid CDROM problems, and am now persuing a hard disk based
install.

It appears that the install expects symbolic links to work.  I
poked around and these "links" appear to be 0 length files, even
under Windows 95.

HAS ANYONE EVER INSTALLED PACKAGES FROM A VFAT FILE SYSTEM such
as this?  Can I somehow "hack" up the directories to simulate the
links?  Or better, a utility of some sort?

Many Thanks for any information

John