Re: Startup hangs because of bad partition

On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 11:05:36PM +0200, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 03:10:16PM -0400, B. Szyszka wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I wanted to move /var to another partition since it kept on
> > filling up, but I accidentally forgot to make its partition a
> > Linux one and now Linux won't start. When I boot it, it
> > asks me for my root password for maintenance or press
>
> But what exactly does it say BEFORE running this sulogin? (you can use
> SHIFT+PGUP to see what was printed to the console before)
>
> > Crtl+D to continue booting. If I put in the password, I get a
> > limited set of programs including no text editor so I can't
> > edit /etc/fstab
>
> try mounting our /usr partition - some editor should be there...

On my system I have "ae" in /bin -- look for it on yours. :)

Or, you could try to cat....

cat /etc/fstab
echo "stuff here" > /tmp/tmp
echo "more stuff" >> /tmp/tmp [as much as needed]>
cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.old
cp /tmp/tmp /etc/fstab

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!