Re: confused about NFS-server in kernel versus nfsd package

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, James D. Freels wrote:

 : I would like to take advantage of the apparent better performance of
 : NFS-server capability of the new kernel.  I have built my kernel
 : 2.2.12 with nfs-server capability.  I cannot find any documentation on
 : this capability (howto, etc.)  The help message from the kernel
 : configuration is attached below.  The referenced NFS-HOWTO is dated
 : 11-3-97 and was apparently written before this feature was added to
 : the kernel?  How do I do this?
 :
 : _________________________________________________________________
 : CONFIG_NFSD:
 :
 : If you want your Linux box to act as a NFS *server*, so that other
 : computers on your local network which support NFS can access certain
 : directories on your box transparently, you have two options: you can
 : use the self-contained user space program nfsd, in which case you
 : should say N here, or you can say Y and use this new experimental
 : kernel based NFS server. The advantage of the kernel based solution is
 : that it is faster; it might not be completely stable yet, though.
 :
 : In either case, you will need support software; the respective
 : locations are given in the file Documentation/Changes in the NFS
 : section.                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you read this file as suggested, you find the following:

NFS
===

The user-land 2.2beta40 release:
ftp://ftp.mathematik.th-darmstadt.de/pub/linux/okir/dontuse/nfs-server-2.2beta40
.tar.gz
ftp://linux.nrao.edu/mirrors/fb0429.mathematik.th-darmstadt.de/pub/linux/okir/do
ntuse/nfs-server-2.2beta40.tar.gz

The kernel-level 1.4.4 release:
ftp://ftp.varesearch.com/pub/support/hjl/knfsd/knfsd-1.4.4.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/devel/gcc/knfsd-1.4.4.tar.gz

I think you want the knfsd stuff.  It's still fairly unstable, enough so
that I haven't tried it yet.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD