confused about NFS-server in kernel versus nfsd package

I would like to take advantage of the apparent better performance of
NFS-server capability of the new kernel.  I have built my kernel
2.2.12 with nfs-server capability.  I cannot find any documentation on
this capability (howto, etc.)  The help message from the kernel
configuration is attached below.  The referenced NFS-HOWTO is dated
11-3-97 and was apparently written before this feature was added to
the kernel?  How do I do this?

CONFIG_NFSD:

If you want your Linux box to act as a NFS *server*, so that other
computers on your local network which support NFS can access certain
directories on your box transparently, you have two options: you can
use the self-contained user space program nfsd, in which case you
should say N here, or you can say Y and use this new experimental
kernel based NFS server. The advantage of the kernel based solution is
that it is faster; it might not be completely stable yet, though.

In either case, you will need support software; the respective
locations are given in the file Documentation/Changes in the NFS
section.

Please read the NFS-HOWTO, available via FTP (user: anonymous) from
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO.

The NFS server is also available as a module ( = code which can be
inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want).
The module is called nfsd.o. If you want to compile it as a module,
say M here and read Documentation/modules.txt. If unsure, say N.

|James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D. |Phone:  (423)576-8645 |   | L | A |
|Oak Ridge National Laboratory  |FAX:    (423)574-9172 | H | I | L |
|Research Reactors Division     |work e-m: fea@ornl.gov| F | N | P |
|P. O. Box 2008                 |home e-m: fea@icx.net | I | U | H |
|Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6392|world's best neutrons | R | X | A |