Potato Install problems on PowerMac

Hi all,
I'm new to Debian, but familiar with Linux.
I run a couple of PowerMacs with LinuxPPC and now I tried to install a
potato snapshot on one of these machines.
The preparation I did are as follows:
Have a booting LinuxPPC installation, prepared a 1GB partiton with
mke2fs. Mounted the partition and did a tar xzpf base2_2.tgz -C
/mnt/target which reflects my 1GB partition.
Made the changes as told on the different how to's. Booted into the
debian and was prompted to enter the runlevel.
As told I typed 'S' and the I got a prompt sh2.02#
Typed 'dselect' to configure the system, this is the output:
---------
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of adduser:
 adduser depends on perl-base; however:
  Package perl-base is not installed.
 adduser depends on passwd (>= 961025); however:
  Package passwd is not installed.
dpkg: error processing adduser (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of apt:
 apt depends on libstdc++2.9 (>= 2.91.63); however:
  Package libstdc++2.9 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing apt (--configure):
Setting up libc6 (2.1.1-12.2) ...
Current default timezone: 'US/Eastern'.
   Local time is now:      Wed Dec 31 21:42:03 EST 1969.
   Universal Time is now:  Thu Jan  1 02:42:03 UTC 1970.
Run `tzconfig' if you wish to change it.
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libc6.postinst: /usr/sbin/update-rc.d: No such file
or directory
dpkg: error processing libc6 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of base-files:
 base-files depends on awk; however:
  Package awk is not installed.
dpkg: error processing base-files (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ae:
 ae depends on libc6 (>= 2.1); however:
  Package libc6 is not configured yet.
 ae depends on slang1 (<< 1.3); however:
  Package slang1 is not installed.
 ae depends on slang1 (>> 1.2.2-0); however:
  Package slang1 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing ae (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of diff:
 diff depends on libc6 (>= 2.0.92); however:
  Package libc6 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing diff (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of bash:
 bash depends on libc6 (>= 2.1); however:
  Package libc6 is not configured yet.
 bash depends on libncurses4 (>= 4.2-3.1); however:
  Package libncurses4 is not installed.
 bash depends on libreadlineg2 (>= 2.1-8); however:
  Package libreadlineg2 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing bash (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of debianutils:
 debianutils depends on libc6 (>= 2.0.93); however:
  Package libc6 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing debianutils (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of bsdutils:
 bsdutils depends on libc6 (>= 2.1); however:
  Package libc6 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing bsdutils (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of base-passwd:
 base-passwd depends on libc6 (>= 2.0.92); however:
  Package libc6 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing base-passwd (--configure):
 adduser
 apt
 libc6
 base-files
 ae
 diff
 bash
 debianutils
 bsdutils
 base-passwd

Now I don't know how to get further. As it seems to I can't install or
upgrade anything, it always complaines that libc6 isn't configured.
Having a look at the command /var/lib/dpkg/info/libc6.postinst:
/usr/sbin/update-rc.d: No such file or directory
gives me the impression that something lacks or is not configured right.
Typing the line above by hand I get a INIT 2.76 and afterwards the prompt.

Any help would be great
Thanks

Andreas