Re: X crashes on start-up

> I have Debian 2.1. After installation the console works fine but X does not. When I startx, I will get a teal screen at a very low resolution, with the mouse pointing to the left. Then everything freezes. If I hit a key, I get a beep. I must go to a virtual terminal to shutdown.
> All other distributions thus far (Mandrake 6.0 and Slackware 4.0) have worked flawlessly. Incidentally, so has Red Hat 5.2, which was based on the 2.0.35 kernel.

I think that it is brecause your video board is not supported at all by
XFree86 3.3.2. You shoud update your XFree86 packages to at least 3.3.3
(the recent version is 3.3.5). There are Debian packages of the 3.3.4 at
http://www.debian.org/~branden/

Could be better if you tell us your videoboard's model, memory, and some
other information about your hardware.

Taupter