quake2 / gl problems

O.k. it seems that no matter how I try I can't seem to get quake2 to utilize
my voodoo2 card. It's a diamond monster fusion, I am using the xbanshee server
that I aliened from an rpm. I have installed the glide deb, mesa4g, and the
/dev/3dfx BS. When I try to run quake2 from console all I get is software @
320x240 ("Yuck") when I try to run frox X I get this crap in the term:

{fugas@cybercreep .quake2}$ sudo ./quake2.real +set gl_driver lib3dfxgl.so
+set vid_ref glx
Added packfile ./baseq2/pak0.pak (3307 files)
Added packfile ./baseq2/pak1.pak (279 files)
Added packfile ./baseq2/pak2.pak (2 files)
execing default.cfg
execing config.cfg
Console initialized.

------- sound initialization -------
sound sampling rate: 11025
------------------------------------
ref_gl version: GL 0.01
R_SetMode() - CDS not allowed with this driver
Initializing OpenGL display
...setting mode 3: 640 480
Received signal 11, exiting...

I have read, and read, and read. Nothing seems to help. I am so close to
buying another hard drive so I can play this damn game with some good
graphics. Anyone that could off me some help would forever be my hero.
--

Ben Lutgens