Re: Automounting CD-ROMs and Samba 2.0.5a

On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 09:21:25PM -0400, Alec Smith wrote:
> I've got a Debian 2.2 machine running Samba 2.0.5a that I'd like to share
> a CD-ROM drive from. Basically I'd like to have the CD-ROM mount and
> unmount before and after usage. So far I can get the drive to mount
> automatically using the exec option in Samba, however no files are visable
> from Windows -- Only if I TELNET to the machine and look at the mount
> point.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion on how to set the exec and postexec options
> so they'll actually work with a Debian system?
I suggest to use autofs:

Install the autofs module by including a line
autofs
in /etc/modules and say
# modprobe autofs

Now install the autofs tools with
apt-get install autofs

Finally Put a line like the following in /etc/auto.master:

/m /etc/auto.removable -t5

and create a file in /etc with
------------ snip --------------
# This is an automounter map and it has the following format
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
# Details may be found in the autofs(5) manpage

cd         -fstype=iso9660,ro                      :/dev/scd0
floppy     -fstype=vfat,quiet,gid=25,umask=002     :/dev/fd0
zip        -fstype=vfat,quiet,gid=25,umask=002     :/dev/hdc4
------------ snap --------------
You need to modify the devices to suit your environment of course.

Now create the mountpoint
# mkdir /m
and start the autmomounter with
# /etc/init.d/autofs

The path to your cdrom is now /m/cd, which is what you will need for the
"path" setting in /etc/smb.conf

I never could make the sambe exec option work and this has the added bonus
to work for local users too and also for several users at once.

Nils

--
Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of the time.
To be specific the "Plug" almost always works.            --unknown source