Re: Help needed with Xwindows on PB Linux box

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, David Hass wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm having trouble getting XWindows running on my Packard Bell Force
> 480CD with 8 MB ram, Cirrus CL-GD5434 chipset, 1024 kb video ram and
> Debian linux.
No offense, but eek!

> I've tried many settings with XF86Setup and xf86Config.  No luck.
>
> I type startx and it starts up, gives me the coarse screen with the X,
> and then shuts down with no error messages.
My first guess would be that you don't have enough system memory.  8MB of
RAM is (imo) bare miminum without X - you need a minimum of 16MB to do
anything useful.

But that wouldn't keep X from starting - that GD5434 chipset may not be
capable of handling the video mode you try to set it for.  Or you may not
have setup your window manager correctly.  You do have a .xinitrc in your
home directory, don't you?

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstien