Re: Fw: Fetchmail--SMTP connect to localhost failed

bwarsing wrote:

> Is that an anti-spam dot in your address?  It makes it hard to send you
> mail.  Anyway, please let me know if this works.

No, the address really is kent.west@infotech.acu.edu. Does this cause
problems with some email systems? If so, I guess I'll either need to get
a new alias or stop using the alias and just use the real address of
westk@acu.edu.

/etd/init.d/exim was already disabled (not with comments, but with an
"exit 0" near the top of the file).

Pointing me to /etc/inetd.conf allowed me to find the problem. The smtp
line had a "*disabled*" at the start; I just put my curser after the
second * and hit ENTER and saved the file and restarted exim and now
fetchmail works! Yea!

The fetchmail script also works. I tinkered a bit and found that it's
not necessary to have a .fetchmailrc file; it just stores info so you
don't have to feed everything to fetchmail on the command line.
Nonetheless, it makes using fetchmail easier to use.

Thanks very much for your help! My newly setup box is getting closer and
closer to be in full production (if I could just get those extended keys
to work in X - Grr$#%rr*rat-a-sass-a-frassa-#$%@rrr!!!).