How do we restart X?

hi,
	I have this problem with X.  I am running both Potato and Slink on
different machines but they both have this problem with X (and a lot of
times when this happens, I happen to be running Netscape).

	The problem is that the X server will hang.  When it hangs, the
keyboard also dies and so I cannot switch consoles to kill the X server.
I have to telnet in from another machine.

	When I telnet in from another machine, I always check see that
all the background jobs are running fine.  The only problem is that my
previous login (the one that hung) is no longer listed under ps and top,
so I do not know how to kill and restart the X-server.  I end up having to
reboot the machine.

	I tried using textmode to restore the X-server but it caused the
entire machine to hang instead and so I have to reboot anyway.

	Anybody got any ideas on how to fix this problem?

	Some background on my machines:
1.  Both are running 2.2.x kernels
2.  The slink graphics card is a S3Trio64V+, the potato is using a
Banshee.

Yours truly
Alexander Ling

"... the primary function of schools is to impart enough facts to make
children stop asking questions.  Some, with whom the schools do not
succeed, become scientists..." Schmidt-Nielsen, The Camel's Nose: Memoirs
of a curious scientist.