Re: hard disks more than 8gb

Hello!

On Sun, Sep 05, 1999 at 07:52:36PM -0700, Kenneth Scharf wrote:
> I bought a new HD (and a new MB and cpu for that matter.  BIG upgrade.
> Re-installing EVERYTHING!)
>
> I am running debian 2.1.  Fdisk reported my 17.2 maxtor (which the bios
> sizes as about 16.8gb, so maxtor lies a little).  But linux fdisk only
> sees half of this.  MS fdisk sees ALL of the disk.  I thought I would
> have a problem here and have to resort to partition magic but I tried
> using the install from stormix linux (which is based on debian).  It's
> graphical partition s/w sees all the disk.  Anyone else have problems
> with drives larger than 8.4GB?

I'm using a regular Debian Slink system.  Be sure to select LBA for that
drive in your BIOS. I have a 27.3GB HD, and both Linux's fdisk, and cfdisk
detected it perfectly at full capacity.

The only thing you have to worry about is creating a root partition in the
first 1024 cylinders (8.4GB), so that you can boot from it.

I read a FAQ on www.westerndigital.com about hard drives bigger than 8.4GB,
and it gave a good explanation for the posibility of problems like this
happening. It is related to a limitation on the IDE standards, if you want
more info, check that article out.

Greetings,

Alexis Maldonado
Disenos y Montajes S.A.

DYMSA - Disenos y Montajes S.A.
Tel. +(506) 227-5616   Fax. +(506) 227-5257

e-mail: dymsacr@racsa.co.cr

PO Box:  Apdo 171-2010 Zapote
         San Jose, Costa Rica

Address:  500 mts Sur de Rotonda de Zapote
          Edificio DYMSA
          San Jose, Costa Rica
          Central America