re: H45 QuickCD PCMCIA CDROM and/or JVC SCSI via Bus Toaster ?

> I am wondering if anyone has experiences (good or bad) with using
> either of these CDROM devices under debian.  I have the opportunity
> to borrow the debian (or other dists) CD next week, and want to
> make sure it is possible to use these devices to install.

Yepperz!- I'm using the h45 24x pcmcia QuickCD on my thinkpad 755CE until I get the
dockII set up right. It works fine- but you need the rescue and drivers disk. You get all the
way through the install until it is time to configure modules and then setup PCMCIA *and*
CDROM support and you should have the CD listed as either the first or second device on
the secondary controller. It's a bit slow with the spin up/down cycles, but it works a charm.
	At the end of the install- it'll be symlinked as /dev/cdrom and you just use the defaults
whenever you want to run deselect.

> When I got the base system up on the Thinkpad-560, the QuickCD
> spun up and down a few times, and spit out messages ever few
> seconds when spun down.  Perhaps there is a way to get it to
> stay spun up?  I get the impression that linux expects it that way.

  I don't have this problem- are you sure you've got the pcmcia and cdrom configured right?
(I'm using defaults with no problems)

It does say that the tray is open and the media has changed all the time at boot up and when I
first run deselect, but it works fine...

Oh- slink, images from March.

Koyote