H45 QuickCD PCMCIA CDROM and/or JVC SCSI via Bus Toaster ?

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has experiences (good or bad) with using
either of these CDROM devices under debian.  I have the opportunity
to borrow the debian (or other dists) CD next week, and want to
make sure it is possible to use these devices to install.

When I got the base system up on the Thinkpad-560, the QuickCD
spun up and down a few times, and spit out messages ever few
seconds when spun down.  Perhaps there is a way to get it to
stay spun up?  I get the impression that linux expects it that way.

I think I am getting over my head trying to find and download (via
modem and AOL) the debian packages I need to get an X-Windows system
up and running.

BTW, I am grabbing "peanut", and should have it all in a few hours,
so I can at least see how this machine performs with X Windows, and
to satisfy my linux curiosities until I can get debian.

Many thanks in advance for any good/bad news/info,

John