Re: ftp, but no apt-get

tf wrote:
> my little saga  continues.  using cftp, I'm able to access my website's remote directory, but while connected, can still not use
> apt-get to build a system.
>
> Can I just ftp packages to some directory on my machine, then dselect them from there? can't think of how to say this, but how
> do you associate an ip address with a name?  getting to my website I used the dotted quad.. (how could I specify debian's ftp
> address? using ftp://us.debian.org/debian results in a hostname lookup failure)

That's cuz it's ftp://http.us.debian.org
                      ^^^^
BTW, you mentioned that you got to your web site by entering a
dotted quad? Are you able to access www.debian.org by typing the URL
instead of the IP address?

Also, explain to us (me) _how_ you're trying to install, ie. the
steps you're taking. I'm not familiar with cftp, but are you running
it and then trying to run apt-get from its prompt?

> also, I don't have mail set up yet, so how could I give it  to debian's ftp site as a password? and can I ftp sets of packages? (not
> using the normal procedures of apt and dselect, just an ftp client?)
When you log on to an anonymous ftp server, you just type in
anonymous as the login and your email address as the password. I use
ncftp, and it takes care of all that for me, so sometimes I forget
when using other ftp clients.

hth

btw, is there any way you can get your mailer to wrap outgoing
messages to under 80 characters? It helps with reading and
formatting replies tremendously :)
--
Mark Wagnon       )     Debian GNU/ -o) / /  (_)__  __ ____  __