dselect in xterm

When I use dselect in an Xterm the text is rather annoying compared to
the way it is in a plain terminal. When I open an Xterm, by default I get
black text on a white background. I am using Windowmaker, so I hold down
the ctrl key and click the middle button. I then enable reverse video
and get white text on a black background (the way I like it). When I run
dselect the packages listed show as black text on white squares. In the
description area, the text is black on white squares too. The area where
there is no text, the background is black, matching the reverse video
mode. In a regular terminal, it is not at all like this. In my xterm,
it is rather annoying. Any suggestions, so I don't have black text on
white blocks when running dselect from an xterm?

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/