Re: traceroute: icmp socket: Operation not permitted

miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg) wrote:

> - Your traceroute binary is setuid, but not to root, or
> - there is some firewall rule blocking ICMP packets installed

Thanks, Mike. I took a look in /usr/sbin and found a few files which are
set as owned by gsmh and as group 1000 - me in other words. I hadn't
done the obvious and checked before because I assumed this couldn't
happen. Somwhere along the line, and I suspect the Potato upgrade I did
on Friday, the ownership of these files has changed. The list is as
follows:

checkrhosts
icmpinfo
in.rexecd
in.rlogind
in.rshd
in.telnetd
in.tftpd
netdate
rdate
ripquery
routed
rpc.bootparamd
rpc.userd
rpc.rwalld
rwhod
traceroute
wdsetup

I changed ownership and group of traceroute to root and it works fine
now. Incidently, the permission settings of most of the files in
/usr/sbin is: -rwxr-xr-x

Should I change all of the above to root.root?

Thanks again.

--
Phillip Deackes
Debian Linux (Potato)