RE: Why use Debian? Why not Red Hat?

On Fri, 3  Sep 1999, Paul McHale wrote:

> If you have bizaar hardware, redhat (I believe) has more drivers.
> Redhat has more packages but this may be an arguement for alien.

Paul

I have acquaintances who never did get X up under Red Hat using the
SiS6326 card.  That card is apparently S3 based, but SiS does
something really bizarre with it.

However, one of my students got X up (late last
winter) with Debian after a bit of fiddling. He replaced the 3.3.2 X
server with the 3.3.3.1 server, then modified the XF86config file to
make the thing work well.

I understand that RH 6 has 3.3.3 X. I don't know about specific
SiS6326 support.

I would like to have a comparison of device support available from
Red Hat with that from Debian. Can you address this?  Or perhaps
someone on this list can answer this.

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.