Re: [Debian: Directorys] /user/ on external Server

On Sun, Sep 05, 1999 at 12:29:01PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello,
[snip]
> As File-Server I can use my AMD K5-133 and one IBM DTTA 351680.
> But what software I must use ???

It all depends on what your clients are -- if it is the one machine that
runs the DOS and the linux and the something else, then you might want to
use mars-nwe -- it emulates a netware server. There exist DOS-mode and linux
clients for netware servers (the standard netware utils under dos, and ncpfs
for linux -- I don't know how it handles printers..)

maybe samba would be a good idea, if your dos machines can use the windows
networking thingy -- under wfw you can, but maybe not from plain dos.

> Oh jes, at login on my workstation, the appropiated /user/ directory must
> be auto-mounted on the File-Server.

This I know isn't too bad -- under linux clients. If you use samba, it is
even easier. Maybe. What is setup here at my university, all user accounts
are exported using samba. the entries in /etc/passwd on a machine that users
are likely to login to have their home directory as :/home/samba/hudson: --
and samba on hudson is set to alias the share named 'hudson' to the right
user -- based on their login name. (this is much easier to setup than it
sounds like.. :)

But, for the DOS realm running the mars-nwe you would use a login script
similar to this:
map f: = fs1:sys\public

(It has been a long time since I have done something like this under
netware..)

I would imagine the smb-based windows networking allows you to map very
similar, probably more like:
map f: = \\fs1\user

have fun :)