Re: Clueless Newbie needs Networking Help

Tor- Simon Law wrote:

> Hello.
>
>         I'm pretty new to Debian and have been unable to get my network
> configured properly.  You see, in a couple days, I will be heading off
> to University of Waterloo (Canada) and will want to hook up to their
> residence's network.
>
>         The only problem is, they've given me settings that theoretically
> working for flavours of Windows, but those settings seem to be dodgy
> when it comes to the Debian installation programme (dbootstrap).

Hmmm. I'm not sure, but maybe you can use a dhcp client? AFAICT,
it sets up the ethernet device automagically. I had it set up on
my machine about a month ago, and I'm pretty sure that it took
care of all that. I've since taken up the task of creating a
firewall, and being lazy, I haven't installed dhcpcd to replace
the static settings I entered for the install.

Check it out. There's a HOWTO at
http://www.metalab.unc.edu/linux/HOWTO/mini/DHCP.html It may
answer some of your questions.

hth