Re: Clueless Newbie needs Networking Help

Hello Simon

On Sat, Sep 04, 1999 at 06:52:43PM -0400, Tor- Simon Law wrote:
> Hello.
>
> 	I'm pretty new to Debian and have been unable to get my network
> configured properly.  You see, in a couple days, I will be heading off
> to University of Waterloo (Canada) and will want to hook up to their
> residence's network.
>
> 	The only problem is, they've given me settings that theoretically
> working for flavours of Windows, but those settings seem to be dodgy
> when it comes to the Debian installation programme (dbootstrap).
>
> 	Now I've sifted through various HOWTO's and I still haven't figured
> it out yet.  Perhaps someone could help me.
>
> 	Here is the information I have:
>
> My host name: (Whatever I bloody please)
> Domain name: uwaterloo.ca
> My IP address: "Obtain IP address automatically"
> My netmask: Well, in Windows, once "Obtain IP address automatically"
> is selected, one doesn't have to enter a subnet mask...
> My broadcast address: Unknown.  (I assume that the default should be
> okay.)
> Gateway address: None.
> My DNS server: None.

Whenever they say "leave gateway null, leave dns null, leave broadcast
nuyll, leave netmask null" -- it all means "use dhcp to figure out all these
settings".

You will need to install a dhcpclient to get onto the network -- I have had
luck with dhcp-beta-client, though when I ran SuSE I had to use dhcpcd.
<shrug>

As for ipx/spx and NetBEUI, I can't think of any real good reasons why you
should need those loaded. Maybe they have novell servers there, and maybe
they have printers that network with NetBEUI that do not cross subnets or
something similar -- I am betting you can get away with just tcp/ip. To
access the windows amchines you will want samba. :)