hardware configuration questions

I'm trying to get my new hardware completely running under Debian. So far I
have encountered two problems.

1) I have no idea how to configure a PCI Soundblaster card. While this is
not a major problem I'd like to eventually play music on it. Since I have no
access to any recent HOWTO while playing with the machine at home, I don't
know if this is a FAQ.

2) I have an IDE CD writer but the only CD writing software I know
(cdrecord) wants a SCSI device. Can I go with a fake one here or do I need
other software? Hopefully this isn't a FAQ either.

Michael

P.S.: I'm not subscribed to this list, so please CC me if answering to the
list.

Email: Michael@Fam-Meskes.De           | Use PostgreSQL!