Re: SCSI Tape Drive

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 07:34:44AM -0500, Anthony Landreneau wrote:
> Greetings,
> 	I have recently installed a SONY SCSI tape drive onto my linux box.  I
> would like to use the Taper program to back up my hard drive to tape.  But
> I seem to be having a problem with getting the tape drive to work.
>
> 	When I do a cat on /proc/scsi/scsi I get:
>
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: SONY     Model: SDX-300C         Rev: 0300
>   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> So the OS is "seeing" the hardware.  However when I try to tar or write to
> /dev/st0 I get an error saying device not found.  Any insight onto this
> matter would be very much appreciated.

First step is to see if the device does indeed exist on your system.

$ ls -l /dev/st?
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   0 Mar 22  1998 /dev/st0
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   1 Mar 22  1998 /dev/st1
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   2 Mar 22  1998 /dev/st2
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   3 Mar 22  1998 /dev/st3
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   4 Mar 22  1998 /dev/st4
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   5 Mar 22  1998 /dev/st5
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   6 Mar 22  1998 /dev/st6
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   7 Mar 22  1998 /dev/st7

If it does not, them 'man MAKEDEV' to learn how to create it.
And you need to have support for SCSI tape drives either compiled into
your kernel or compiled as a module.

$ ls /lib/modules/2.0.36/scsi
st.o

Luck,
Pann
--
What's All the Buzz About Linux?                    L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\