Re: HELP: how to access /dev/dsp despite gnome?

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 11:32:46AM +0200, Bruno Boettcher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i just want to make some tests with the mbrola package which needs access  to
> the /dev/dsp device, but gnome blocks it.
>
> Which entity of gnome does this, and is there a way to remove the control of
> gnome over this device temporarily?

How do you know that it's gnome? I think it should be esound that gnome is using. you could use

$esdctl standby
and
$esdctl resume

to release/cause /dev/(audio|dsp|mixer)

But if you start esound with

$esd -terminate -nobeeps -as 2

It should let other program use sound device within 2 seconds after it finish using sound device.

Cheers,

Chanop

| Chanop Silpa-Anan                          <chanop@writeme.com>             |
| Australian National University                                              |
| Tel. +61 2 6279 8826, +61 2 6279 8837 (office hour)                         |
|      +61 2 6249 5240 (home +voice mail)                                     |
|         Debian GNU Hurd         PGP available upon request                  |