Re: 3com905c vs Rage128: In this corner, wearing the white trunks....

Kent West wrote:

> Joachim Trinkwitz wrote:
> >
> > Kent West <westk@acu.edu> writes:
> >
> > > But! Apparently the 3com905c requires a 2.0.x kernel, and won't
> > > work with the 2.2.x version. The Rage128 video card, not being
> > > supported yet by Xfree86, can only work with the frame buffer
> > > method, which apparently requires a 2.2.x kernel.
> >
> > I have many 3com905 cards working perfectly well here with 2.2.x
> > kernels (with versions all the way up). Did you really try the kernel
> > driver option CONFIG_VORTEX ("Vortex/Boomerang" support)?
> >
> > (Maybe I'm missing something here, I didn't see the whole thread.)
> >
> > Greetings,
> > joachim
> >

> It's the 3com905c that's unsupported. The '905, '905a, and '905b
> are supported. However, last night I learned that the "c" is
> supported in the driver available on the driver maintainer's
> page. Tomorrow when I get back in the office I'll download the
> source and recompile it and see if it works.

It worked. The 3c905.c driver available from
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/, worked with the
3c905c card. I do get a "CHECKSUM ERROR" when booting, but
networking still works. I'll get around to posting a question
about the error in a day or two after I've worked out a couple of
other issues.