Re: Newbie - Mail question and other odds and ends

"Barry Rueger" wrote:
  >A couple of quickies as well: I gather that there are configuration
  >files for most of the things that I've installed.  Is there a convention
  >for naming these (like ending them in .conf), and where are they
  >likely to be kept?

Config files are named however the software writer chose; all config files
with system-wide effects should be in /etc or its sub-directories.  Files
that affect a single user's sessions should be in or under his home
directory.  Files may be named *.conf, *.cfg, *.config, *rc and so on.
Config files in your home directory may have names starting with a dot,
which means they don't normally get listed by ls; use `ls -A' to see them
too.

All config files ought to be capable of being changed with a text-editor,
but a number of packages provide configuration tools.

You should always start by reading the documentation: man to list a
manual page, info for GNU info pages, maybe netscape for HTML.  To see what
a package provides, try `dpkg -L <package> | less' which will give you
a list of all files in a package; read documentation in /usr/doc/<package>
or /usr/share/doc/<package>.

Some packages have their detailed documentation split off into separate
documentation packages.

Tkman is a nice tool for reading man pages.

  >A Debian specific one: when installing from discs one is presented
  >with a nice package that allows you to install various components
  >like mice and CDROMs and such.  Is that tool still accessible after
  >you've installed the base system?

I don't think it's available after you've finished your installation.

--
      Vote against SPAM: http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
     "Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season;