Re: Automatic software installing (like Win. 2000)

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Seth R Arnold wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 28, 1999 at 06:35:48PM -0500, David Blackman wrote:
> > I came up with a better idea (I think).
> [...]
> > Get ready:
> > 2 programs filer & apt-get-filer
> [...]
>
> You know, this idea isn't bad :) I could honestly see this thing
> working out, though there would be some pathelogical cases..
>
> $ filer HelloWorld.c
> gcc
> gpp
> vim
> elvis
> vi
> vile
> emacs19
> emacs20
> nedit
> indent
> ted
> gzip
> bzip2
> compress
> md5sum
> wc
I thought of this, heck what about an executable
bash, tcsh, kernel-source, gdb...

> But, a question to ask -- how often do you actually have a file from
> somewhere, without the program to do something with it? If it happens often,
> it might be a wonderful thing to have. But, it almost never happens to me..
>
> Still, a pretty decent idea. :)

usually I don't, palm tools, gotot freshmeat, html editor, freshmeat,
pine, freshmeat,

but if someone wnats an auto-installer, there is a need,

and there could be keywords too, like mail, mail filtering, browser,